Saturday, May 23, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 73

Day 72 - May 22nd 2009

Today would be a day dominated mostly by laundry. There was laundry unfinished from last weekend and both hampers filled from clothes from this week. So instead of going back to sleep like I usually do after I watch Morning Joe I just went ahead and got a bunch of stuff done. While I was doing laundry I was able to add Katie Haire from the Tritone and The Sobriquets to a couple of bills for Lickety Split. Both awesome acts. As I inched to the afternoon I would be hit with three very significant pieces of information that would effect the future.

The first was a call from one of the artists playing the show on Sunday telling me they were going to be unable to make it. The reasons are understandable but it’s still a minor inconvenience and now I have to scramble to find an act to replace the one that left, my only other option would be to switch everything up and we’re too late in the game for that. I would have to call around and find an acoustic performer that would be up to the level of everyone else and that can maybe bring some people. Two days is not nearly enough time to promote.

The second was an email from the Bang Camaro camp. There’s going to be another tour starting in October running through most of November. Ever since I got home I’ve wondered if I’d get another call and how involved I could be if I did. I’d like to be involved as much as I can but October is a long way away, who knows what’s going to happen between now and then. Hopefully some things will open up that will allow me to give them a decent stretch.

The third was a call from my sister. Her songwriting partner at EMI has some other industry interests that may involve me. Not quite sure what that could mean he wants to have a meeting this Thursday. This along with a pending meeting with my former manager Phil my future as an artist may be a little less murky than it was before I left provided these guys aren’t all talk.

I discussed this over the phone with my Dad and he described it as walking the line between Boy Wonder and Bang Camaro, that those things and people I left behind in March to tour the country may not be there if I leave again. For me there is no line, if ever forced to choose I know what choice I would make. With the support that the Bang Camaro brethren have given me I’ll never be forced to make that choice, I’ve been blessed that I can (and want to) do both. I know Boy Wonder might not be much to the average person. At the moment it’s a local or regional thing at best, but I’m proud of the work that I’ve done and I think the music I’ve made has some legs. I believe in what I’m doing.

I took a break from all of the madness and went bowling with my best friends at North Bowl. We had a blast. While we were there I think we put the kibosh on the String Quartet for Sunday as no one is free to do it. After bowling was over, the crew did alcoholic milkshakes and I went home.

I shall relax tomorrow for I have a big day Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter