Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 62

Day 61 - May 11th 2009

Monday Morning started with a run. I haven’t been all that active since the tour ended. With gigs with bang Camaro upcoming I need ot get my body back into shape. Turns out I’m in pretty good shape, a fly ass side effect of beign on otur shaking my ass for two months. I won’t be ripped for the shows a planned ( I need five pound weights for that) but I should be physically ready to roll.

I came home to tie up some loose ends with the show on May 24th , band rehearsal Tommorow at 1. Horn rehearsal Wed at noon, vocal rehearsal Wed night. Then I went back to work on booking the stuff for Lickety Split. They are gonna have a sweet run this summer, I got some great bands.

After a quick shower and some pushups I went to the basement to work on some guitar and before I knew it it was open mic time.

On the way there I get a text maessage from Dan laying out the details for the Bang Camaro shows weekend. I don’t even know how to get to the Blender Theatre so this should be a fun little trip. We’re gonna end up Sayreville a town that I’m tied to just a little bit.

I get there at around 5 and I run into Damon Hamilton and 2mas, two very talented guys I haven’t seen there in quite some time. The familiar faces are slowly coming back and I was happy about that. Workign very hard to restore the luster to the event. Jen in PR asked if I would like to book a show there on Tuesday June 4th. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

The open mic itself was one of the better ones. We generally start slow and towards the middle we get our better people but this one was great right from the start. I saw lots of great bands, many of who I’ll be contacting about booking for gigs at Lickety Split (among other things) in the future.

I noticed that my comfort level was higher at the open mic than it’s ever been. I try to keep the crowd involved all night long. We’re all together for four hours so I try to make it as entertaining as possible since I’m the only constant. I felt the crowd and I were really vibing, they were laughing at my jokes and that hardly ever happens. I’ve been begging them to let me shoot a pilot of this and pitch it to MTV. I don’t think there’s anything more interesting form an audience perspective than an open mic. You have all these different kinds of people, some are skilled some may be a little bit less and then you have some folks who are just strange lol. I think it could keep my attention for 30 mins at least.

It was an extremely good night as I continue to find my feet in my new world of the non traditional job. It’s gonna get a lot harder before it gets easier. But I do think that I can actually do this.

Rehearsal with the guys tomorrow. I’m very excited as we continue to put this thing back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter