Thursday, May 21, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 70

Day 69 - May 19th 2009

I’m pretty restless. Luckily I have plenty to do today. I’ve got the final rehearsal with the band and will be hanging at the Tritone Open Mic along with some other promo.

Around 4 PM the crew shows up and we dig into the set. The horns and background vocals are stunning for the most part but y ears always shift to Jake and Rob. I’m noticing now that these guys aren’t polite players. Whenever you listen to these guys you can tell that they really dig into whatever they’re playing. I’m really excited about the new set. With the possibility of some traveling on the horizon I want to put together a set list that can really encapsulate where I am at this moment in my development. I still like playing the songs from the previous records and they do a great job of replacing some of the songs on Superego that we had a difficult time making work live. We’ve tweaked some of the Superego stuff as well, I’m very excited about it.

After we were done I hitched a ride with Steve and we headed to Kelvin’s house to grab the equipment for their open mic. We crammed some stuff in the car and headed to the Tritone. I helped them briefly and headed over to Ron’s Ribs grabbed some food and came back.

The open mic got underway, I don’t often go to open mics these days. After you start hosting one it sort of loses it’s magic, sort of like once you find out how they do the special effects in movies. The tritone is one of the better ones in town.

I ran into a girl who I thought was amazingly talented (and quite adorable) as I approached her to talk to her about the possibility of booking shows she goes “I remember you, I gave you my number and you didn’t call me” Uh oh. For a minute I thought hat I had hit on her at some point and never called her (not my style) turns out I had seen her at my open mic some time ago and was interested in her music but for some reason never called her. I fixed that by booking her at Lickety split sometime in June

Tonight is good especially since the featured acts are Todash and Genevieve, two acts that I’ve worked with extensively. Todash is a sweet jam band that features former Sheep and Boy Wonder drummer (and Current Two handed Engine Drummer to boot) Tom Mlcoch. I was a big fan of The Sheep and it’s always great to catch up with Tom and Bucky who was also there.

Genevieve, well she’s another matter altogether. I normally hate the piano singer/songwriter girl but with her lush arrangements and rich sultry voice it’s tough not to fall in love with her. I saw a room full of dudes do it tonight. She’s playing my show on Sunday and I’ve gotten a lot of flack from people about the fact that more often than not most of the girls I book (especially for shows like this) are pretty hot, like I have some sort of bias. My response is always, if the HYPE! Is about presenting high quality entertainment and if I’m saying these are artists that could easily be signed to major labels or in the market place somehow they have to have the complete package. The complete package involves having a good look as well as a great sound. Ugly is relative anyway, I’ll book just about anyone provided they get the job done.

There were a whole string of comics one who raised an interesting question. Why didn’t Chris Brown hire R. Kelly’s PR people? R. Kelly urinated on a child they should have been able to clear all the Chris Brown stuff in 30 minutes.

After it was over there was some more music and we called it a night.

Tomorrow will be my first Wed in ieons with nothing to do. Wonder how I’ll spend it

My Buddy Genevieve

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter