Saturday, May 9, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 58

Day 57 - April 7th 2009

Something I’ve grown accustomed to, waking up in a place that isn’t my house.

Well it’s my sister LaShon’s house, it might as well be my house. It’s been my second home (mo matter where they actually lived) all my life. I don’t spend as many nights here as I did when I was a kid but I always feel comfortable here. They’re couches are pretty bad ass.

I spent the morning watching my sister get her kids ready for school. A window into the different paths we’ve chosen. They watch cartoons in the morning and eat frozen waffles and cereal. It was a pretty cool hanging out with my nieces just before they left for school. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

My sister Nichole came in a few hours later with her son Aydan I needed to shower so that we could go. She needed to run some errands and they involved taking me home.

We ended up at Beacon Academy where her and LaShon both work. Aydan also goes to school there so she had to drop them off. Shon’s been there for quite some time so I know a lot of the teachers that work there. She’s even got some of them to appear at my shows, so it’s good to drop in on them. We hung out there for a while and then we bounced.

We drove into the city and vibed on some Day 26 and shared war stories, Nikki’s a songwriter for EMI so we often sit and talk about trying to get a leg up in the business. There are a lot of mountains to climb and a lot of things are happening in both our spheres that could lead to potential good things and potential failures. It’s always nice to have someone to talk about these things with. When you’re consumed by it (like we both are) it’s easy to be viewed by some as being self absorbed.

I got the drop off at the house, took a nap, woke up, and immediately went to work on getting some booking things out of the way. Lickety Split has been super duper confirmed so I’ve been moving on finding acts and locking them down for the Wed showcases. Since we play from 10-2 on Fridays booking the openers will be a tad easier. We have to rely more on drawing a crowd on Wed Nights so I have to be smarter about booking.

Zot is tomorrow and my nerves are shot about it. First night in a new place you just never know if people are going to come to it. The house band pulled out but I was able to fashion one together so that we don’t take a hit if people come to the jam session.

I worked for so long I looked up and my parents had come through the door. We spent some time together and watched some TV and I talked a lot about tomorrow’s show. I’ll probably calm down a bit more once we get the shows goin.

After being up super late trying to fill spots I gave up for tonight and went to bed. I got a phone call around 9:30. It was Zach asking if I wanted to see Star Trek. I immediately said yes. I brought my folks with me. The movie was amazing. I'm not a fan of the original Trek (movies or TV Show) but I think this was an excellent reboot. I can't wait to see all the sequels. JJ Abrhams (who was on Kimmel the night Bang Camaro aired to promote the movie) does it again.

Zot’s tommorow I'm very excited

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter