Saturday, April 4, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 24

Day 23 - April 3rd 2009

The one thing they don’t tell you about the road is that the days run together. When everyday is like a Friday or Saturday Night one day you wake up and you realize that you don’t even know what day it is. I got up and grabbed a shower and waited around for us to check out of the hotel. The Econo Lodges are a tad (and by a tad I mean significantly more) seedier than the Super 8’s we usually stay at. The junkies looking for a fix have no problems walking up to you and asking if you have what they need. I hooked up with the brothers and we proceeded to the van.

We went to a Kroger (Wal-Mart like Store) for food and I got some soups and Vitamin Waters. Then I encountered my old nemesis, the self checkout machine. These damn things never seem to work. It was to the point that the one I was using broke down. I was speaking rather loudly at that point “I would be out of here in 5 minutes if I dunno a human being were checking my stuff, I’m not a f***ing cashier (sorry mom)”

Today we went to do laundry, Dan (tour manager/sound guy) needed to throw some things in as did the rest of us so we rolled over there on our way to the venue. It was the first time I’d ever been in a Laundromat to do my own clothes. I didn’t mention it to the guys, I had no clue what I was doing (lol) I managed to get my clothes in and head over to a Pizza Hut. I’ve been nursing a nasty canker sore on the back of my throat, a gift from the cold I caught, hurts like hell, makes it hard to be nice sometimes especially when you’re on top of people constantly, so I try to get some separation from everyone when I feel like that.

I walk into the pizza hut and I ask the hostess “I know this is going to sound like a weird question but What day is it?” She politely tells me it’s Friday April 3rd. I feel like a tool. I got my wings and walked my butt back to dry my clothes. I folded the clothes and loaded Roxanne and we went over to the venue to load in our gear. The place was huge, probably the biggest room we’ve played since I been on the road with them, definitely in the top 3 biggest rooms I’ve ever performed in.

We had about two hours before we had to be back so we went to check into the hotel for some chillin. I’d love to kick back a little more while I’m out here. I’m more of a low key dude and the partying gets to be a little much for me. I must say Dan has done a great job of booking the hotels close to the venue (although I think this particular one might have been Glen’s doing) he really seems to be on top of his stuff.

We piled into the van and were ready to do a like check once Never Neverland was done playing. They sent me to check the microphones in my Bill Cosby voice. Everyone seemed to get a kick out of it, by the time I got to the third mic I felt a little like Stepin Fetchit so I stopped, I’m a pretty proud guy I don’t really like feeling like I’m being exploited or laughed at. I’m not here to be a comedian, I’m a singer and with so many people that talk to me about Bang Camaro wondering if we’re joking I don’t need to be bringing out the impressions.

The set went extremely well. We were without Sean but Rich returned so we were down to four vocalists again but we were kicking some serious ass. My “moves” are getting a lot of attention the crowds seem to like it. It’s all in the hips I guess. No matter how I feel a crowd at a show can always get me goin. The really cool thing about Bang Camaro is you have several things to look at in terms of singers or you can just look at Bryn and Alex as they shred like beasts. We had 55 mins so we basically did the whole set sans F.Y.T.F.O. I thought we rocked faces off. I must have singed 10-12 autographs after the show was over.

We checked out Electric Six and I think I’m picking up on the vibe better than I did last night. They groove pretty sexily, I dig it. I’m learning a lot from watching Dick Valentine front the band. He works the room, talks to the crowd, and really gets em goin. Some Shitiot jumped onto the stage and he hit him with a forearm shiver sending him flying back into the crowd. I like them more and more with each show. I’m lookin forward to touring with them.

We hung around, signed some more stuff and bounced. Came back to the hotel and slept.

We rock Bloomington Indiana tomorrow. Wonder what kind of shenanigans we’ll get into next time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter