Sunday, April 19, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 39

Day 38 - April 18th 2009

I woke up in the new Comfort Inn near Denton TX. We had the day off yesterday and stayed here. I feel like I’ve been here for a week, and I mean that in the best possible way. A day off not in the van is pretty sweet. As I went downstairs to find some free I ran into one of the people at the front desk who was especially nice to me. It may have something to do with and exchange we had last night when I went to buy some laundry detergent.

Last Night - Front Desk

Me: Hey I’d like to buy some detergent.

Front Desk Clerk: Sure what room are you in?

Me: 212

Front Desk Clerk: I already have someone in the room that bought detergent.

Me: Ok.

Front Desk Clerk: That’s where that band is staying,

She gives me the once over

Front Desk Clerk: You’re not with them.

Me: Yeah I am actually.

I was a tad testy as she finds a way to get her foot out of her mouth.

Front Desk Clerk: Oh I’m so sorry, I just, I just, didn’t see you with them.

Me; How much for the detergent

Front Desk Clerk: $1.50

Me: Thank you

In this situation I’ll admit I’m a little more sensitive about all this racial stuff than perhaps I would be normally. She was pretty embarrassed, and went out of her way to be nice to me this morning.

The free included make your own waffles, biscuits and gravy, sausage and all manner of muffins and juices. I watched a news story about a couple that just had a baby. Apparently the wife went into labor and neither of them knew she was pregnant in the first place. I watched an episode of heroes on my laptop and went back upstairs, we went to karaoke so I didn’t get a chance to take my clean clothes out of my laundry bag and put them in my suitcase. I generally have to re-pack/re-organize my suitcase after I wash clothes, so it’s cool to make the suitcase kinda look like it did before you left.

We rolled out and hit the road. 15 dudes in a 15 passenger van. Luckily the allergy meds I’m on keep me pretty sedated and I slept for quite some time, as I was drifting in and out I heard they guys in the back talk about inventing a cheeseburger paste to go on sandwiches. Gross and by gross I mean they would make mint off of fat people. I woke up when we reached a KFC. They had grilled chicken, so I go a meal that included vegetables. You end up eating so much crap out here you try to get a vegetable in your body whenever possible. I came out and Steve was eating a chicken sandwich with a cheeseburger on top. Nice.

I attempt to go back to sleep and when I wake up I hear we got turned around and somehow ended up in Oklahoma. We got back on track though and got to Amarillo in time for load in. We had a bit of difficulty finding the place but once we hit the street I looked and said I think this is it.

War Legion Underground

If you’ve ever met me look at that picture and then imagine the fear in my eyes. We’re in the south and This place don’t exactly look black friendly, matter of fact it don’t look too friendly at all. Amarillo wouldn’t be a town that I was going to explore. I told my band not to let me out of their sight, if they don’t see me come look for me. They all laughed, I wasn’t really kidding. I was also surprised at how cold it was. Desert weather I guess.

But as often happens when you judge a book by it’s cover I was wrong. This was a cool little spot with nice people. One of the ladies on the staff happens to be a big fan of that Philadelphia Parking Wars TV show so she talked to me at great length about it. My phone rings, it’s Jake (My bass player) we talk for about 10 minutes or so. I can’t wait to get with the guys again, we have lots of stuff comin up.

The band went to grab some grub and the Leslie guys went some place else leaving Sadler (Leslie, Guitar/Vocals) and I at the venue to heat up soup. Sadler’s an interesting cat. We showed each other some tunes, and he talked to me about Memphis, walking around soaking up the vibe. No matter where I am if I’m talkin about music I feel at home. We peeped the opening act, a local female singer/songwriter the crowd was a bit thin but I figured it would pick up. The band came back pleased to see me still in one piece. Leslie came on and tore it up. The crowd was still a little thin but I figured it would pick up. Byt the time we were ready there was still about 13-15 people at the show. So Bryn, Alex, Pete, and Doz came up with the idea that they would perform on the floor facing the stage while we stayed on the stage and we would put the audience in between us. We had a blast. Rocking it like there were 1500 people in the room. I’m a big believer in doin a good show no matter how many people are there.

The coolest moments for me came after the show. I was in the bathroom changing (I often wear a separate outfit on- stage because I sweat like a slave) I heard a guy who got to sing into one of the mics on the phone with his wife. He knew every word to every song during the set and was so happy on the phone telling his wife how it was the best thing ever that he got to sing with the band. He was so excited. Then Bryn talked to a kid who was just beginning to play guitar. He put his guitar on the kid and talked to him as he sat on one of the cases. He also got some autographed picks and a drumstick. It was really awesome to see the positive effect this band can have on people. A lesser band would have either left the venue or phoned it in and went back to their hotel. But we have too many people to ever be called a lesser band.

Great night right? Wasn’t over yet. We ended the night by going to a lesbian bar. Jason Fox kicked my ass in darts and I spent the rest of the even trying to keep all the cigarette smoke out of my lungs. But not before I almost peed my pants watching Sadler and Bryn slow dance on the dance floor. I do have to say that that bar had the worst DJ ever.

We pull into the hotel and get some shut eye. Zach is flying out in the AM. It’ll suck to see him go, but at least the van’ll be down to 14 in the 15 passenger van. Albuquerque is tomorrow, my first trip to New Mexico. Tour’s winding down, gotsta keep on rocking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter