Thursday, April 23, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 43

Day 42 - April 22nd 2009

Sweet dreams turned into nightmares as a I felt a foot on my torso. I opened my eyes to see the giqant from Jack and the Beanstalk stepping on me. Turns out it was Nick Given the most gentle giant I knew who was extremely apologetic for not seeing me there. I was so exhausted from last night’s show that I slept on the floor with a sleeping bag instead of breaking out my air mattress. Funny because this was the only morning I planned on sleeping in.

I ventured to find the free in the sunshine breakfast room. Waffle, Danish, Orange Juice and water. As I was sitting here a gentlemen in a baseball cap sits down by me.

Paris: You seem to be yawning a lot are you awake yet?

Me: Not yet.

Paris: So what brings you here?

Okay here I’m thinking he’s hitting on me.

Me: I’m out here on tour with my band.

Paris: What kind of band.

Me: Hard rock band. Def Leppard, Skid Row.

Paris: Yeah I grew up on that stuff.

Me: Cool

Paris: Mid if I sit down.

Me: Sure

Paris: Yeah I’m from Northern California , I’m here with my family we’re goin to the zoo and…

Okay here I think he’s about to ask me for money

Paris: I’m here because I love to talk to people about the most important thing in the world the gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Whew, it’s just a Jesus pitch. I’m already a Christian so these are particularly easily to handle, unless you get one of these Kirk Cameron people who want to debate Salvation with you. This guy was a nice enough dude. We shot it for a while, he prayed for me and then he left to move on to someone else. This guy is very good at what he does. He could have used his gifts to sell used cars or bad stocks but he’s using it for Jesus which is cool. Most Christians are terrible salesman, so set in their beliefs they can’t fathom someone believing differently making the whole “converting lost souls” thing difficult for most.

I went back to the room and finished catching up on my Heroes and moved onto Smallville as the guys were waking up. There were plans to go to the beach. I hate the beach but I like these guys so I agreed to go. I spoke with Bryn bout future plans and he showed me some mailing list stuff he was doing, takes a long time. I was also able to sew up the Live and Local gig at Six Flags Great Adventure. Some other stuff is coming that should be pretty amazing.

We all piled in the car and headed over to the beach I had to buy shorts when I arrived. I put my feet in the ocean and all that. Sean had pulled a mighty sea beast from the ocean and took a picture of it. It was pretty cold unfortunately so we didn’t stay long.

Someone had an idea to BBQ so we hit up a grocery store and got some food, as we walked the sun came back out a bit and I marveled at the people walking around sitting in outdoor cafes. I thought out loud that people live like this everyday out here. Alex suggested that we could move out here and turn it into a sitcom.

We brought the food back to the hotel and tore it up. Brugers, Dogs, Chickens, Steaks, Corn, etc. we had a mighty feast, shared mom stories, then what could very well be our last campfire jam. Although I generally don’t know or like the music that’s selected I’ll miss the camaraderie of singing in a circle with my new brothers. I did my laundry during all these happenings as well.

They went to see a show and I hung back and did some practicing/writing/arranging I took a shower and went to bed early. We invade LA tomorrow and have lots to do. I need to be on my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter