Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 41

Day 40 - April 20th 2009

My shoulder aches. Probably because I slept on it, probably because I played wiffle ball in the desert yesterday and like an asshole swung to hard. Head hurts a little. Probably because I slammed those two vodka cranberries in the span of five minutes like an asshole. Bad day, time to get back to track. According to the window I just opened we’re still in Albuquerque. We have to figure out the trailer situation so we can try to get to Sand Diego by tomorrow, everyone is still asleep as usual must find free.

They have a waffle maker. Free’s always better when they have a waffle maker. All the hotels seem to prefer Good morning America to the Today show, I don’t know why that is. Alex comes downstairs with Sean right behind him. We chat for a while about some general stuff about the plans for the day he goes to check on the trailer situation. When he comes back he says that the Goodyear guy said that he can actually fix the trailer so we should get enough guys to go over and pull the trailer over to the garage. Everyone else is sleep so Alex Sean and I are it. We hoist it over to the parking lot and wait.

Check out isn’t till 1 so I walk down the street to the coffee house to grab some lunch. Johnathan from Leslie is there with Rod and Sadler. We kick it for a while and go into this Native American spot where they shop for jewelry and what not, I thought of getting something for my nieces but they wouldn’t wear this kind of stuff. We got the trailer sorted shortly afterwards and started out on our way. Cluck Master lives again.

The plan is to actually drive to San Diego tonight. 12 hours, 1 van, 14 dudes. Lord I pray I don’t kill everyone before we make it to San Diego. We’re drivin and I throw my ipod on. After a rest stop the lEslie guys and Sean suggest I listen to Thin Lizzy for the next 50 miles so they throw some on, they think I’ll like this. It was a good call on their part. Great grooves, guitar solos, and an awesome voice.

After a deep conversation about the deliciousness of Fried Chicken we stopped at a KFC. I wonder how fat I’ve gotten since the tour started.

As we drove…and drove….and drove….and drove some more I peeped the scenery. I love the Southwest landscape. It’s so flat you can see ahead for miles and miles. It’s the way one wishes his life was. My anxiety switches from the tour to going home. I wonder how different I’ve become. I feel different, but is that normal? Has the crassness of being on the road with 14 other guys rubbed off on me. Do I want to lead a more normal life again. I’m not who I was when I left. I don’t even know what that means.

I’ve always been anxious about the future, not as much as I was ten years ago. I like not knowing what’s around the corner. A year ago I was walking around Center City with Claire and we were talking about making our dreams come true. Fast forward and I’m in a van, in a band that’s taping for Jimmy Kimmel on Friday, who knows where I‘ll be a year from now.

As we drove…and drove…and drove…and drove…and drove. We finally crossed the state line and I played California by Phantom Planet as we crossed into Cali. I finally got here but that’s a story for another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter