Friday, April 17, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 37

Day 36 - April 16th 2009

http://myspace.com/boywonderrocks

Mark it on your calendar, April 16th (technically the 17th)2009, Denton, Texas 12:05 AM 36 days (and some change) into my tour with Bang Camaro I officially snap for the first time. I’m surprised that it hadn’t happened earlier all things considered. But we’ll rewind to the beginning of the day.

I woke up in Austin pretty early, my air mattress semi-deflated (I don’t think it’ll survive another tour) I was pretty hungry so I moved into the lobby in search of free. The woman at the front desk was amazing. Apparently she had a daughter that came to the show last night so I got the true rock star treatment. I was handed a plate of various danishes and when she asked if I wanted coffee she handed me a fresh pot over the front desk. I flip on MSNBC to catch the final hour of Morning Joe. When I finished breakfast I caught a shave and came back to catch up on some internet stuff, then once 11 AM rolled around and I went to get Roxanne to put her into the trailer. I overheard that the one of the wheels on the trailer is all messed up, hopefully it’ll survive the rest of the trip.

With not long to go to Denton we took our time getting there. We had some pickups to get to. Nick Given was flyin in to do the rest of the tour and we were re-uniting with the Leslie boys. Once everyone was picked up and in the van we were at 15 people in a 15 passenger van. The ride to Denton gave me this feeling of being cooped up, the thing that really pushes my buttons the moment is the feeling of being trapped. I managed to calm myself down through texting friends and listening to music. My cough is filled with phlegm, the Texas air is just awesome for my allergies…lol

We arrived at the venue and loaded in. We met up with the Electric Six guys as the long goodbyes began. This would be our last night with Electric Six and we’ve all had such an amazing time. I’ve learned a lot about being in a band and entertaining a crowd from those guys. They do it every night.

We did sound check and as we were about to come off the stage Doz starts playing the bass line for walking on the moon (one of my favorite police songs) Alex didn’t know the chord so I tried to tell him and figured it’d be easier to show him. So I hit the chord that I’ve hit hundreds of times and it felt pretty good. We came off the stage I had a quick pow wow with Nick about a few bad notes in Blood Red Rock. It’s nice to have fresh ears here. I want these shows to be good and it’s good that there are always people here that are focused on music.

I wandered through Denton some. Another great small town that just so happened to be filled with beautiful women. The Jupiter Coffee shop was full of em, but they were all playing second life on their computers. That’s just weird to me. I’m having a hard enough time getting my first life together. I got a green tea and sat on the curb.

The show itself was great. The band is riding a hot streak and Alex was ripping it on guitar. I almost lost it when I saw a mosh pit in the crowd and a guy push a girl to the floor. I’ve never liked mosh pits, even when I sang in punk rock bands when I was a kid. I just don’t get why people have to be so violent to each other especially these days. I was literally about to jump in the crowd but Sadler came up and started singing and someone picked the girl up and she seemed okay so I finished the set.

As I came down the stairs I dried myself off and changed my clothes. I left the room and went to the bathroom, when I came back to the green room it was filled with cigarette smoke and people that weren’t in Bang Camaro or Electric Six. The backstage activity was in full swing, I’ve seen this before, but tonight something’s different. As I stood there, I think of the life that I left, the one that I have now, the pros and cons of both, the sweet gig that I have, the songs I’m not writing, the stories I’m not telling, the amazing experience I’m having, the feeling that the people I meet on the way only know and care about a guy who sings some songs and shakes his hips, the thrill of performing and contributing to a kick ass group effort and the feeling that I have so much to express that I can’t in this environment, the pressure I put on myself to be perfect while I’m here, the van, the road, the life, the feeling that I had lost myself, I feel trapped again. Then it happened…I, very quietly lost my ever-lovin mind. I think I even heard a snapping sound just before it happened. I needed some fresh air. I walked around Denton again. This time without a firm grip on who I was. I probably looked like some meth addict as the Texas breeze blew across my skin. I wandered back into the coffee shop and got a latte and walked around. I was pretty far from the venue when I snapped back to reality. A couple deep breaths, a curb, and a quick prayer later and I felt like myself. As stupid as it sounds something as simple as breathing deeply can help you gain perspective.

I ran into some of the Bang Camaro fans (who are amazing people by the way) they shared their vodka with me and told me that they loved my blog. I still have a hard time adjusting to the fact that people read this stuff or care what I have to say about anything. He encouraged me keep it goin.

I re-joined the brethren (you really couldn’t ask for a better bunch of guys) and enjoyed the rest of Electric Six. We had a blast as I watched the rest of the Camaro guys jump on-stage with them, Electric Six has put us in an extremely good position. I had a convo with Dick Valentine as we wrapped up plans for me to come see them at Johnny Brenda’s in Philly in a couple of weeks, I can’t believe Electric Six has been playing the Khyber when they come to Philly that place is the pits.

We got back to the hotel everyone fell asleep and something extraordinary happened I opened up my book of nonsense and I started writing down everything I’d been feeling in the form of rhyming couplets that could eventually be called verses, choruses, and maybe a bridge. I feel like me again pouring everything into a notebook, wrestling with it till 4:30 in the morning. I can’t wait to finish it.

I think I’m ok now, not knowing who you are however briefly can really throw you for a loop. I felt like that walk I took really got me back on track. Growing (Growing up really) is crazier than I could have ever imagined I’m out of my funk and ready to rock. We have a day off tomorrow hopefully I can bang out this song.

I'm in Repair I'm not together but I'm getting there - John Mayer

2 comments:

  1. Good call taking a walk man. Sometimes YOU are all you really need, especially if you've been spending a lot of time facilitating someone ELSE's self-expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome entry, Andre!! Especially that last little line from my absolute favorite guy besides you! Was so apropos...sometimes you realy need to have a mini meltdown to gain perspective and it sounds as if it was just what you needed at that moment in time! Can't wait til you are in LA and we can finally meet face to face...it's been a long time coming! Keep up the good work and good luck with the next shows...

    xxooxx

    ReplyDelete

Counter