Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 42

Day 41 - April 21st 2009

California, it’s been more than four years since the last time I was on the west coast. The last time I was here was for a funeral, so you may have to go even further back than that to find the last time I was here under happy circumstances. It’s one of the few places on tour I’ve been quite often.

Growing up California to me was the place I was supposed to make my dreams come true. Light years ago when I was in High School and wanted to be a filmmaker/screenwriter. I dreamed of studying film at USC. I was unable to go because of financial reasons, even my freshmen year at Temple I dreamed of the day when I might be able to transfer. With the exception of being the fifth Ghostbuster, all the things I’ve ever wanted to be; a musician, a football player, a writer, a Radio DJ, an actor, filmmaker, screenwriter you had to go to Cali (LA in particular) if you really wanted to make it happen for yourself. A lot of my friends moved out here a few years ago and they never let an opportunity to tell me how much they love it to pass by. I also wondered about movin out here, still do.

I woke up in my own hotel room. It was the first time I had booked my own room on this tour, matter of fact it’s the first time I’ve booked my own hotel room ever. The guys were talking something on the lines of sleeping 7 to a room so I figured getting my own room was best. Having a bed to myself was awesome. I woke up grabbed some free and got in the shower. When I got out and Sean got out I ran to the van to get the Leslie boys so they could use it. Not before stretching and soaking in that California Sun (it was hot already) Good bunch of guys.

We hopped in the van and all I could think of was the heat and being crammed in a van with 15 guys. Jonathan from Leslie was the right guy to sit next to me. His particular brand of humor always puts me at ease. I’m to busy laughing at that boy to worry about whatever’s worrying me. I got a call from Laila an on-line friend and supporter of my music. She’s from San Diego and I forgot to tell her and the crew I was gonna be in town. She found out and told me she was gonna show up and bring Heather and her husband with her. The funny thing about e-friends is that you’ve been corresponding with them one way or another for so long you know them (I’ve known Laila for two years and Heather longer than that) but you’ve never physically met.

We got to the hotel about four hours later and checked into the hotel. Once we got settled Nick, Steve, and I went to a restaurant on the hotel grounds and had some beers and shot the shit. I wish these two guys would have been along for more of the ride they’ve got good spirits. We all piled in the van and got to the venue. After sound check I was wondering where my posse was. I decided to eat at this really cool Chinese place Sean had gotten food from. I got Chicken Lo Mien and soon after I was done the crew showed up. I realized how much I missed having friends at shows. With the exception of Minneapolis it’s been hard to get people to come out and see the band.

Leslie rocked it as always. Real deal right there.

I had so much energy when I hit the stage. But tonight was strange. As we got further into the set I was sweating like nobody’s business, way more than usual, I was winded and light headed, and the flashing lights made me feel like I was on some kind of psychedelic drug. The room blurred and moved back and forth. It was the first time I thought I was in some kind of danger. I fed off of the energy of my band mates and got through the set. I recovered our picture of Beavis (I’ll explain at some point) got in the van and went back to the hotel. Played guitar for a while and went to bed.

We’ve got a day off tomorrow and I hope to get some rest for this final push.

1 comment:

  1. So did you meet up w/Laila and Heather?

    And I love these blogs. Quote of the blog: "Free's always better when there's a waffle maker." haha!

    ReplyDelete

Counter