Friday, April 3, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 23

Day 22 - April 3rd 2009

http://myspace.com/boywonderrocks

I awoke in Motown, beer bottles everywhere including next to the sink. I almost tripped over a raw potato on my way to the shower. Memories of Karaoke and busted old chicks fill my head as the water hit my gross body. It was funny cause we basically owned that bar.It was bad singer after bad singer and then Rodrigo, Nick, Sean and I in a row. The host basically was like “Who the hell are you guys?!” and then kept saying “Bang Camaro’s in the house” for the rest of the night.

We piled in the van headed for East Lansing stopped at a Kroger and got there in about two hours. I slept as they played the new Mastadon album in the van.

We arrived in East Lansing and immediately went to the venue to scope it out. Small Planet was a weird little spot. It had a really Dave and Busters Vibe to it. Looking more like a place for cover bands and 12 year olds that a place a band like Electric Six would be playing. This business has changed significantly. We went back to the hotel and chilled for a sec before going back for Load in.

Today we transition into being the opening act. Since I’ve started with this band we’ve been the headliner for every show we played. Now it was our job to warm the crowd up for another band. I was actually looking forward to this part of the tour, 2 weeks straight, 45 mins, lots of people, really getting to work. There was some concern because we were down to four singers, Rodrigo, Sean, Morgan, and I were all we had tonight. Turned out to be all we needed. After Thunderclap we were off to the races. Their fan base in Michigan seems to be strong, there were plenty of kids in Bang Camaro T-Shirts clapping their hands pumping their fists in the air. I was pretty good at working the stage, people seemed to be clapping whenever I was clapping, not sure if they were watching me or not there were three other good looking dudes on stage. I felt like we owned it tonight.

I step off stage feeling sweaty and gross and was approached by a beautiful Asian girl (a tad more....NC-17 than I would normally go for but she seemed nice). She seemed to like the concert and wanted me to come find her by the bar. I wondered what she was after. I found her and her buddy talking to Bryn and after being nudged by the brethren I went over. We had a couple of drinks before she slipped out with her boyfriend and I was sad (lol) the drinks were free so I feel like it was a victory. Distractions are the last thing I need especially now, we’re shorthanded and I need to be on my game.

We stayed through Electric Six, interesting band. The crowd seemed to love them and they danced and jumped up and down and the like. When they were done we went back to the hotel. I shared my Bill Cosby impression with the band for the first time. In our current state it killed. We were all craving pizza but Dan couldn’t find any at 2AM. I took my butt to bed. I was humming a melody in my head and will work on it in the morning.

Grand Rapids is next, Richie flies in but Sean is flying out of the weekend which keeps us at four singers. Like Carol Antrom my first ever choir director always said. The Right four people are better than 15 wrong ones, every singer Bang Camaro puts on that stage is talented so I think we’ll be fine.

The Funniest Thing I've Seen Today

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter