Friday, April 24, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 44

Day 43 - April 23rd 2009

We had to be up particularly early today, I had showered the night before because I figured there wouldn’t be time for everyone to do so this morning. I woke up around 7which was still earlier than everyone else. But then again I had gotten plenty of rest the night before. I had a grasp on how important the day was for the band so I felt like I needed to be at my best physically. My air mattress is dead so I slept in a sleeping bag in a nook between the bed and the air conditioner.

I went downstairs to enjoy the San Diego Free one last time. I made myself a waffle and saw Paris again who said he was praying for me. It blows me away how just sharing similar beliefs can bond strangers together. I was encouraged by his words.

Had to help get everyone up, Dan wasn’t here so it kinda fell to Sean, Jason, and I to wake up our respective rooms. I don’t like fighting with people so I tapped Bryn and he got up and everyone else got up and got ready. We packed the trailer and piled in the van 13 strong.

Today we go to LA, finally. It had been five years since I’d been on the West Coast. Almost ten since I’d been to LA itself checking out schools and the like. We were here to do a showcase for Fontana, a division of Universal that distributes music for independent record labels like Bang Camaro’s label Black Sword. They get it in all of the stores so that you can go to FYE and buy a copy. I was surprised at how chilly it was today in a city famous for it’s perfect weather.

We walked inside and they had a soul food place cater the event; fried chicken, collard greens, macaroni and cheese. I was truly at home, come to find out that this was the urban music portion of Fontana Fest. We were treated to performances from artists on Master P’s new label Hollywood Dreams, he walked in (tall guy) and introduced himself and his label. He said that this venture was about making these kids dreams come true. First out of the gate was Little King an 8 year old rapper complete with hip hop swagger and 7 year old dancing “video girls” it was a bit disturbing especially since the girls had a ton of make up on their face. Then there was The Fabulous Girls and another R&B artist it was a little off putting. I’m sort of against having kids in the entertainment industry hardcore. I didn’t really dive into show business till my mid teens with acting and what not, going to CAPA (The Creative and Performing Arts High School in Philly) every once in a while we would get the kid that did a couple of movies or did some commercials before they got there, they would have plenty of cash to throw around from residuals and would often have their own apartments, and all I ever met except one was a complete mess. Whether this is my moment in the sun or the beginning of my success I’m thankful it’s happening at 26 and not 13.

We were then treated to a set by DJ Quick and Kurrupt. That was pretty cool. I grew up listening to a lot of the West Coast Hip Hop (My brother was really into NWA and Death Row) so to see Dj Quick up there was an amazing thing.

There was another rock band and then we played. Pleasure Pleasure, Revolution, and Lady Lightning was all we needed to rock the crowd. That day off made us all well rested and we were all in excellent shape. There was talk of an after party, open bar, free food so we stuck around. I changed my shirt to a longsleeve and a few hours later we went inside.

The party was amazing excellent spread and the server girls were friendly and gorgeous. I even ended up in a full blown 20 minute conversation with a Marilyn Monroe impersonator. She literally followed me around the party arm in arm. It was truly bizarre, she was very good at her job though. I managed to pass her off on Bryn and Morgan and I slipped off into the sunset. I was talking to industry people and making some contacts and what not for the day that I’d be ready to shop my own stuff. Everybody was really nice and laid back and as I was walking to find the brothers a voice hits my ear drum

Max: Would you like a reading?

I turned around and thought about it

Me: Sure

It was a woman with Tarot Cards. I’m not a believer in any of this stuff, but I’ve never had one done and I was curious about it. I imagine that it’s all about reading people and telling them what they wanted to hear,, especially in this environment. Besides I like a good hustle so why not?

She said my past was about me having an abundance of skills and someone wanting to help me. My present was about me gaining fortitude and trying to be stronger. She says my future is about me taking all these skills and running with them that great abundance and smooth sailing was in my future. Not likely, but the reading was strangely accurate a little spooky. I know my help comes from God not cards on a table.

So the party was in full swing and then someone says “Ladies and Gentlemen welcome our entertainment for the evening, The Crystal Method.” Yes they Crystal Method DJed the party, it was amazing. Couldn’t dance to the music but it was still hittin pretty hard. I walked around ate and drank a little more and talked to some more people before we left for the hotel.

I slept in the back of the van and when we got there I had traveled up to the room and prepared to sleep on the floor when our manager Ramsey came in and said he had an open bed. My last night sleeping in a hotel room with the Camaro Crew and I get my own bed….sweet.

We got Kimmel tomorrow so I need to get some rest. This is Probably the biggest of all big days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter