Sunday, April 5, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 25

Day 24 - April 4th 2009

All things considered it was a pretty quiet night. Coming off the biggest show of the tour so far as I hoped in the shower I noticed something. It’s been there for quite sometime but I think I’ve been in denial about it. But as I coughed it was as plain as day…I’m losing my voice.

My throat (which has always been a problem spot for me) is fine, the cold I have made it’s way into my chest so when I breathe to hit certain notes it just doesn’t happen. I’m screwed in the sense that I need to rest my voice but probably won’t be able to. We hopped in the car around 11:30 for what had to be the quietest car ride ever. I disappeared into my ipod after downloading Make The Road By Walking by Menahan Street Band. Jay Z sampled the tune for his song Roc Boys on the American Gangster Album. It’s one of my favorite tracks and I’d heard a Dj Spinnin it at North Bowl the last time I was home. I’m probably gonna use it as my entrance music for my Boy Wonder shows.

The ride from Michigan to the Indiana state line was really quiet. Most folks tired or otherwise from the night before were unconscious in the back of the van. After a rest stop I was looking out the window admiring the flat Midwestern scenery. Really quite serene, the America you see in commercials. Doz mentioned that he’d seen the landscape a million times. I noticed some flooding which makes me concerned about the Fargo show. We found some “hits from 80’s and today station” I was in heaven for about 20 minutes. We joked about how some woman at the show in Grand Rapids said I sounded like Paul Stanley

Drunk Woman: I was listening to the show and I was like they sound like KISS but only on your side.

Me: That’s cool

Drunk Woman: Has anyone ever told you sound like Paul Stanley

Me: No

Drunk Woman: No?!

Me: Nope, never, ever, you’d be the first.

Drunk Woman: Oh my God you totally do!

Afterwards Alex grabbed a guitar and we went over “The Hit” a song from Bang Camaro 2 that we’ll be performing on a morning radio show in Chicago on Monday. I’m panicing because I’m having a problem hitting all the notes they want me to hit.

After some more napping we pulled up at Rhinos an all ages spot inside a strip mall in Bloomington, Indiana in the early afternoon. I was happy to know that it was a dry venue. No one there would be drunk until after the show was over. We loaded everything in and I went in search of green tea. I love college towns, there always some sort of culture to be found passing by intellectual discussions, guitar stores, flyers for poetry and music nights, etc. I found a cool little place called Soma and got a Green Tea for cheap. Make the Road by Walking was my soundtrack for the entire walk. I like to explore the places that we go to if we have some down time, what’s the use of traveling if you don’t see anything.

Vocal warmups are getting harder and harder because of the chest cold. I do my best and soon it would be showtime. Bryn and Alex have been concerned about banter so they began to assign certain things to certain people in order to make the show run smoother. I’ve been charged with thanking the crowd and letting them know where the merch table is. It’s cool I have a talking job now, I’m pretty good with large crowds.

It’s showtime and we rock it. I was concerned about if my performance (which is pretty sexually charged) would be appropriate for the 18 and under set so I turned it down a notch. My voice generally gets stronger as the set progresses so I don’t have may problems doing the sets themselves I just have to be more disciplined in the way I take care of myself. I thought Lady Lighting was especially good. That song is so funky.

Electric Six came on and killed it yet again. Dick Valentine is an awesome front man. I may end up being a hardcore Electric Six fan once this is over. I may even have to dance and show these white folks how to move properly. They make me chuckle.

When they were done we piled in the van and thankfully did not go to the after party. We went to a grocery store and then to the hotel. I blew up my air mattress and went to sleep.

We have a day off tomorrow, which I desperately need.

Make The Road by Walking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter