Saturday, June 20, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 101

Day 100 - June 19th 2009

100 Days ago I arrived in Boston to begin a new chapter in my life. Gone was my 9-5, the routine, the health benefits, the safety and comfort of home. I had given it all up to become a professional musician and full time hustler. Through singing, playing in my own band, booking, giving guitar lessons, and doing session work I have been able to keep myself afloat.

My 99th day really ran into my 100th day pretty seamlessly. Because we had to hit the airport at 3 am I basically just stayed up and watched Comedy Central. At 3 am Mrs. Keech (Casey’s girlfriends mom) gave us a lift and spoke about her son , a Baltimore MC, and all the things that he’s doing to grind it out and make a career for himself. When you’re young and fighting this stuff out a strong support system is essential. I don’t think I could be do all that I’m doing without it.

We hit the first plane at 5AM and took a flight to Charlotte. The plane was pretty narrow. They made me check my small bag because there was no overhead room, they made me check my guitar as well which made me a tad nervous but it seemed to work out. I got a seat to myself which was pretty sweet.

We had about an hour layover in Charlotte and as we got in line I noticed that there was going to be a war on fun on the flight to Los Angeles. As I was speaking to Casey a grumpy man decided to interject himself into the conversation.

Me: I hope the plane is less narrow than the last one

Casey: Yeah

Grumpy Man: Nah it won’t be, they don’t make planes for guys like us (referring to their size)

He was sort of a strange bird, I sort of looked at him as if to say “Why are you even talking to me?” I hadn’t had much sleep and wasn’t in the mood for people that butt in when I’m talking to other, turns out my fangs would be out for most of the day.

We then began to sing the theme song form Ducktales. Mind you we’re singing pretty softly and the people directly behind us don’t seem to mind. As we head into the bridge, senior grumpy pants turns around.

Grumpy Man: This ain’t American Idol…shut up!

Me: What are you the fun Police?

Flabergasted by my question he kept walking. As I boarded the plane I was sitting on my own praying to either get a seat alone or a seat next to a really hot girl. I shuttered as a grumpy old Asian couple sat next to me cramming me into the window seat. The war on fun continues as they sat and glared at me nastily for five hours. I threw on my Ipod and looked out the window for five hours. Unfortunately Casey and I weren’t able to sit together for either flight.

We landed in Los Angles and grabbed the rental car and headed to Redando Beach. I smiled as I realized I’m back here again for the second time in two months, 100 days after I left home to pursue my passion I’m back in LA this time exclusively play my own show. It’s sunny and I’m hanging with one of my best buds in the entire world. Can’t get much better than this. Then I got to the hotel, a Super 8 (how fitting) around noon.

Me: Here to check in.

Front Desk Guy: The rooms not ready.

Me: What?

Front Desk Guy: Not till 1.

Me: But check in’s at 12

Front Desk Guy: Not ready till 1.

I walked off and we got some pizza and I came back.

Me: Here to check in.

He gives me the keys

Front Desk Guy: Only one person allowed in the room

Me: But I paid for two.

Front Desk Guy: No only one.

Me: Can I change to two

Front Desk Guy: No you ordered through Expedia and can’t change it

I leave and head towards the room. I got on the phone with Expedia.

Me: So the hotel people are telling me that I didn’t pay for two people.

Customer Service Rep: Well the registration’s in your name but you can have a guest without paying extra.

Me: Well since I paid through you I suggest you clear this up.

Customer Service Rep: No problem sir, have a good day.

Problem solved.

We decided to venture out into Redando Beach and go by the C&D’s Welcome CafĂ©, the place I’ll be playing tomorrow. I didn’t see my name on the lineup sheet for tomorrow’s show so I walked inside. I asked the clerk at the counter.

Clerk: May I help you?

Me: I’m just here to scope the place out, I’m supposed to be playing tomorrow and I didn’t’ see my name on the lineup sheet.

Clerk: Well this is my place I do the booking. Who are you?

Me: Boy Wonder.

Clerk: You were supposed to confirm with me.

Me: I know I did.

Clerk: I check the myspace 5 times a day

Me: Trust me I wouldn’t have gotten on a plane to play a show if I didn’t confirm with you first. If you like I can forward you the message I sent you telling you that I’d gotten my plane ticket and everything.
Her eyes get big as “I fucked up” is written all over her face

Clerk: Well…Well…I can put you on a t 9:45

Me: That’s fine

Clerk: I don’t know if you’ve been promoting yourself or not

Me: I wouldn’t have come all the way out here if I was promoting the show.

Clerk: Well…well show up here early and let my husband know.

I leave fuming, as a booker I know things slip through the cracks, but to forget about the guy who traveled 3000 miles away…not pro. I had to get on the line and let people know that the time had been changed from 8:15 to 9:45. Not sure if this will help or hurt people. Hopefully it doesn’t torpedo my crowd for tomorrow. Grrr.

Casey and I hit the beach of a while, and then walked around Redondo before heading back to the hotel. Casey got in touch with one of his buddies and he told him about a party in West Hollywood. I saw that there was an open mic in Long Beach so we decided to hit that up first. I figured it would be a good opportunity to play in front of a room full of people.

When we got there they told me that it was their two year anniversary and that the mic wasn’t really open tonight but if I wanted to wait around it’s possible that I could get on. I mentioned that I came from Philly and wouldn’t be back next week. I’ve been on the other side of this conversation so many times before at Philly Rising so I didn’t push it too much. A few minutes later she told me that there was an open spot in the beginning and that I could open the festivities which was fine with me.

As I began to strum my guitar I noticed that it was a listening crowd. All the eyes were on me as the crowd was very attentive to what I was doing. I g through my first song to a raucous applause and was allowed to play another one. I kind of rocked it, it was pretty sweet. Although I doubt it, hopefully some of those people will come tomorrow. There were some really talented people at the open mic. We had to head to the party though.

I showered and we ventured to West Hollywood and discovered we couldn’t get into the bar for dress code violations. We thought about getting into something else, but we realized that we had been up for 25 hours straight so we decided to go to bed.

100 days and here I sit, from an AV Tech to playing my 2nd West Coast gig in two months.

I wonder what the next 100 days will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter