Saturday, June 6, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 86

Day 85 - June 4th 2009

The day of a bigger show at World Café Live are always a bit nerve racking. It would be the first time I would book a show there without playing myself. They asked me a couple of weeks ago to try to put something together, problem was all of my big draw bands were playing that downstairs show that I put together for May 27th. So this show would have to mostly be about new blood along with some blood I haven‘t used very often lately

.I look around the house and realize it needs cleaning. I’ve been using my living room as my office/bedroom since I got back from tour. Gone are the days when I had two, three gigs in a week (for now) and could keep all the gear up here. I’ll have to do that and laundry tomorrow. I put on a shirt and tie and headed out the door.

I got there and the happy hour crowd was in full force and the worrying begins. I always worry about the draw. My name usually means asses in seats and I’m not playing tonight. I’ve done what I can for promo but I’m essentially relying on 6 other bands to bring people to the show. It’s a Thursday, the NBA Championship is on, and it’s raining….Awesome. All I can do is shake my head as I watch it pour outside.

People are late, I don’t know why I even bother sending out emails with Load Times. Luckily people started loading in as the show was starting. I’m going to have to train this new crop of bands…lol

Liat kicked things off. I’ve been working with her for quite some time, she’s always wanted to play on the stage here at World Café Live and she did a fantastic job. Barnabas hit the stage next. He was really doin his thing and then he started telling this weird story. I had to have him wrap it up cause he was running over time. Then I jammed with him on his song Policeman and discovered his story landed us 15 mins behind schedule. Laura Cheadle (a long time Hype! Favorite) was next and brought her usual exuberance to the stage and then it was time for the bands to hit the band stand.

Phunkyman, what can I say about them that hasn’t already been said. These guys are amazing. I wish I could work with them more than I do. PM Eaton (Phunkyman’s leader) has played with everyone from Chuck Berry to Kelis while still keeping his own vibe and swing. I got hip to him when a lot of the older people in the scene said I reminded them of a young him. We’d done a bunch of stuff together as I was comin up. He even did the old Jukebox TV show (something I’m very interested in recovering). To top it all off he’s one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. When you’re the real deal there’s no need to be a douche bag.

Speaking of nice people The Victor Victor Band hit the stage next. A married couple who were going to have a baby but bought drums instead. The sound is sort of like the White Stripes if Meg White wasn’t completely useless as a drummer. They rocked faces off. The nicest people you’ll ever meet. Sort of like the Ward and June Cleaver of Rock and Roll. I look forward to being apart of their ascent. It’s rare that you meet good acts that are also good people. I’m doing my best to weed out the bad apples. No reason to deal with douchey people at this point.

Damon Hamilton would close out the night he was as good as the five acts that went before him. Usually that’s the graveyard spot but he kept a nice crowd. Great guy with a great band.

I was a little disappointed with the draw, might have been better had I actually performed, but everyone there had a great time. I had a great time sampling all these bands. Twas a pretty awesome night all things considering. I’ve been pretty tough on myself lately. I’m excited for the weekend gonna get a lot of stuff done.

Victor Victor Band

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter