Thursday, June 25, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 106

Day 105 - June 24th 2009

I woke up this morning to find that my lessons were cancelled. I feel the pinch of what it means to work freelance. No work = No Money. Fortunately my evening would be filled with the dichotomy that has been my life for the past ten years or so. Early evening rehearsal at church, later on that night, my Wed Night
event at Lickety Split. Church and the bar all in one night.

But my afternoon would mostly be spent finalizing the show for July 23rd at World Café Live. Planning for these downstairs shows can be draining. But after I got off the phone with the last manager I was able to breathe easy, the show is happening.

I rehearsed with the Mt. Carmel Junior and Young People’s Choir around 6, they have their end of the year concert this Saturday Night. The director wants to do a bunch of new songs. I really wish she would have gotten me all this stuff sooner cause there’s no way I’m gonna be able to learn all of this stuff in time.

I finally ended up at my last stop for the night. My Wed Night show at Lickety Split. It was a jazz tinged night with all the acts taking Jazz music and going in different directions with it. I didn’t expect this to be a good night. Philly usually doesn’t come out to stuff like this. But they came in droves, the bar was packed. It was as close as you could come to a perfect night.

I got to the show a few minutes late luckily for me DanI Mari is adept at running the shows while I’m gone. Alec Stewart started off the night followed by Kaite Haire, an extraordinary guitarist, singer and songwriter who really brought it with an upright bass player joining her. We threw it to Lydia Rene who rocked it with a Keyboard and her big powerful voice. Ending the night would be Topher’s Bossa Nova brigade, an intriguing band updating the old bossa nova sound and combining it with a modern look. I rarely have bands that good looking at my clubs, they were truly amazing.

Kelvin of The Absolute Zeros showed up, he was off on a Wednesday and decided to come down and check out Katie I’m assuming. I don’t have many friends in the local scene, a lot of acquaintances but very few people that are close to me. I count those guys among my friends not only because they’re standup guys but because I have such a great time hanging out with them. Kelvin (not unlike steroids) enhances any party type experience you might have.

After the show was over we all reveled in the success of the night. I am loved today, and this is good.

I got home and hit the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter