Monday, June 15, 2009

Boy Wonder Professional Musician 95

Day 94 - June 13th 2009

Early Early Early

It’s a rarity that I wake up at 8AM on a Saturday but I had good reason. Today was my gig at The Landsdowne Farmers Market. Two hours with no gurantee of money. I’d be basically making tips and (if I’m lucky) selling CD’s. When I stepped in I saw this poster…

Doggie Spa

And I knew I was in another world. I hadn’t gotten much sleep last night so I was in desperate need of coffee. Luckily I didn’t buy any cause Bob Beach (good friend, sick harmonica player) who booked me for this gig had 5 Farmers Market coins to give to me meaning that there was free here, and you know me and free.

I tried my best to get a vocal warm up in before I started. Bob’s plan was for me to do three sets over the two hour period. With me and my acoustic guitar I can play all day so three 30 minute sets are no problem.

The first set was a little rough. It being so early in the morning I wanted to sing things that would be easy on my voice. I kick things off with Destiny for some strange reason. I’m about 3 songs in and a woman walks up, purchases a CD and waits there for me to finish my song. She asks for an autograph. I should be used to this by now. I singed plenty of autographs when I was out with Camaro, but I giggle every time this happens. She says she wants it so that if I’m ever famous she’ll have it. She waves for some people to come over. Then there were a bunch of people that bought CD’s and wanted autographs, two little girls who were around Jordan’s age had me sign their arms. I giggle again and finish my first set.

I hit up some more free and I move to start my second set. I’m doing songs from the album now that my voice is nice and warmed up. Bob knows most of them (from playing on two and being the sound guy at the open mic) so he joins me for most of the set, he played some harp and even a little flute. It was pretty sweet. Music’s a lot like sex, you can get the job done by yourself but it’s more fun with at least one other person. My strumming with his sensibilities makes me think some duo gigs might be on the horizon.

Small town acoustic gigs like this allow me the opportunity to meet some really awesome people. I met some really cool musicians, a girl that works at a produce store not to far from where the market was, the people from Todaro’s Music store who were digging on my Kingdom Come Superman T-shirt. I got to talk to lots of different people it was pretty awesome.

I ended my last set with a bunch of CD’s sold and a surprising amount in the tip jar and I made some new friends/fans. My mind wandered to thoughts of Bang Camaro who were playing a biker rally this evening. I wonder if something like that is as deliciously bizarre as this was. I’ve been playing by myself more and more lately and appreciating the freedom in that. I don’t have to head bob anyone, I don’t really need a plan, I just play what I feel like playing. That being said I’d like to play with my bassist and drummer as soon as possible.

Moms and I went to Burlington Coat Factory to get some duds for service tomorrow. When we got home Dad made fish and we watched Righteous Kill.

Early to bed this evening, I have to play in church tomorrow. Children’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter