Monday, June 15, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 96

Day 95 - June 14th 2009

Sunday Morning

Today is Children’s day at Church. Meaning that the Church’s Junior and Young People’s Choir are singing, meaning I have to play. We usually don’t have to play until third Sunday but in June we play twice.

I’m never told what we’re playing, the chord progressions, and generally not when to start or finish. All I have generally is a key sheet forcing me to play leads and funky rhythms that I make up on the spot. Doesn’t make for a real tight sound but it’s kinda of fun for me. Virgil (Bass) and Spike (Drums) are one of the better rhythm sections you’ll find anywhere and with the piano there to handle chords, I just try to stay out of the way.

Those two guys have a wealth of the experience and I enjoy talking to them and learning from them about playing and the business. They’ve been everywhere and played with everybody. Combined with some of the others I’ve met over the past year or so I’ve seen a lot of people make this whole “I play music” thing work. It’s comforting to see that no matter where life takes you, you don’t have to stop playing. I won’t be there next Sunday cause I’ll be in California but I won’t miss the choir’s concert

After service we went to my sisters and ate dinner and hit the movies. Six flags in Maryland finally called and it looks like we’ll be there after all…nice.

Went to see The Hangover with my sis and bro-in-law….just as funny the second time around I recommend it to all who haven’t seen it yet.

Made some progress on the July 23rd at World Café Live front, it’s gonna be a good show if I get everyone I want to come and play. Should be sweet.

We watched a little NBA Finals and I wore a Sunggie for the very first time…talk about bizarre.

We got home and I hit the bed. Supposed to be hanging out with Sean-o (Bang Camaro Vocalist) tomorrow night. Should be a good time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter