Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Boy Wonder Professional Musician 98

Day 97 - June 16th 2009

Big day…well full day at least.

I have three guitar lessons and a recording session scheduled. I hadn’t heard from the producer yesterday or this morning to confirm so until I hear from him I’m assuming that it’s not happening today. Truthfully that’s fine with me. I had the sneaky suspicion that I would be over at his place all night as he tried to cook up beats, when I work better laying the parts down after the beats have already been completed. The worst feeling in the world is going into someone’s session blind. Someone who really has their stuff together at least can send you some kind of rough idea of that they wanna do right?

By 2 I was out the door headed towards Center City. My first lesson was at 4 but I wanted to run some pages from the picture chord book off to give to them so that they had them. I ran them off at Dad’s job. I enjoy goin to either one of their jobs in the middle of the day and just kicking it. Still tryin to figure out what exactly my Dad does at his job. There are an awful lot of files there. He must be good at it.

By 4 I was at Becca’s Place, a really ritzy a partment building in Center City I walk in and run into the Front Desk Guy.

Front Desk Guy: You can’t practice here

Me: Excuse me?

Front Desk Guy: You can’t practice here.

Me: I’m not, that doesn’t even make sense.

Front Desk Guy: Well what are you doing here?

Me: I’m here for Becca Fisher

Front Desk Guy: Oh someone else just came in. Are you her teacher?

Me: Yeah

Front Desk Guy: Ok go on up.

We usually do this at Alyssa’s house I like the person that works at her front desk better. They ask who you’re here to see, they call up to verify , and I walk up. Old black dudes always give you a hard time with all the yip yap.

All of my students are currently having the same problem all beginners have at first, developing hand strength. Pressing down hard to the frets so that your notes and chords don’t sound like ass. Most folks have no idea the work that goes into playing this instrument and the months and years you spend not sounding all that great. I’m learning that I have to be firm with them. As a teacher I have to demand that they practice and work hard so that they can be decent players. No matter how frustrated they get or how hard they fight me. I have to be steady and firm.

One has to practice on their own in order to master this, I can tell when they aren’t doing that. You can’t progress unless you practice. With music there’s no cheating. Especially when you play a stringed instrument. I am pleased with the progression of the ones that are working hard. It shows even at this early stage.

I walked over to my last student Rel’s house and her vibe is a bit different. She’s interested in forging an actual career in music, writing songs and being a bad ass guitar player. She had already learned a few chords before I even got there. She’s very excited, I think I can help her to be a good player and even a songwriter. She already has a great voice so it’s gonna be pretty sweet once she learns to play.

I ended the evening with a trip to the Tritone for the open mic run by The Absolute Zeros. I miss my open mic so sometimes I go to theirs. The feature was pretty good and drew a pretty big crowd. I got a pickup shortly after my set and came home.

I’m also one act away of booking my show at World Café Live July 23rd. It’s gonna be awesome. California in a matter of days, I’m very excited.

My favorite version of Candy Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter