Monday, June 29, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 109

Day 108 - June 27th 2009

So today is the Spring Concert for the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church’s Junior and Young People’s Choir. I play guitar in their band so I need to be there to get my music on. Playing with Virgil (Bass) and Spike (Drums) is always a pleasure I learn so much playing with them. Unfortunately the music never got to me for me to learn so I would have to fly by the seat of my pants.

The talk goes to Michael Jackson’s death almost immediately. Most of us had been watching all of the retrospectives, music videos, and news reports. A lot of people are still gonna be reeling from his death for quite some time as the news comes out about the hows and the whys. As I set up my equipment I hear the theories fly across the room. I’m mainly interested in tuning my guitar but I can’t help but be a little bummed out.

As the concert began we banged through a lot of the songs and (as usual) I went on auto pilot and then I heard the Mistress of Ceremonies say “We’ve got a treat Andre Coles known to the outside world as Boy Wonder is gonna sing a song for us” Damnit. I had nothing really planned so I strapped up my acoustic walked over to the microphone and for some reason, I started playing Man In The Mirror…in church lol. It was the only thing that came to mind I thought I’d be run out of the church but the crowd loved it. It turned into a sing a long, it was amazing release for all of us who were there.

We finished up the concert and ate Fried Chicken afterwards. I’m getting chunky again so I’ll probably have to start running on Monday again so I can get back in shape. The Minneapolis gig looks promising but it looks like that might happen till October. The folks leave for Florida tomorrow so I’ll have some time to write some songs this coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter