Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 91

Day 90 - June 9th 2009

I was woken up by the sound of Thunder and Lightning. It was pouring outside, most rain I’ve seen in quite sometime. When I was a kid I thought being struck by lightning would give you superpowers, as an adult it’s a theory I would rather not test. I have guitar lessons today and was hoping that the rain would subside long enough for me to get to Alyssa’s house without getting wet. The thunder did inspire me a bit. Then my phone rang. A guy wanting to know about me doing some session work which is good cause I could use the money. Since so much of the recent hip hop stuff is driven by live instruments, guitar sounds in particular producers are lookin for guys that can play with a certain amount of edge and I’ve got that in spades…lol

A shower and some food and I’m out the door. It isn’t raining but I take my umbrella anyway. Fortunately a bus is there to take me to Alyssa’s apartment. The EL (Elevated Train) may be a tad faster but the 42 bus drops me right at her front door. I go inside the ritzy building and the security guard calls up to make sure that they’re there I take an elevator up. The girl on the elevator with me apparently got some breakup flowers from her boyfriend whom she immediately called to chew out. The convo ended midway through the elevator ride as she looked up at me…awkward.

As I arrive inside the excuses rain down upon me not unlike this mornings storm. They hadn’t really practiced all that much, one had her brother’s wedding (which is legitimate) the other some other excuse that I can’t recall at the moment. I have to remember I’m dealing with hobbyists and not aspiring musicians. You couldn’t pry the guitar from me those first few years. All in all I will say I am pretty pleased with the work they did do. I’m getting more comfortable showing them the few things that I know and hopefully they’ll get better as time goes on.

Mom came to pick me up and I was told that the van was out of commission, with Rob preferring not to drive I would have to figure out how we were getting to NYC tomorrow. Good thing God created Megabus. I was able to find a bus up and back for pretty cheap, especially considering I’m paying for 3 people. Since we’re not driving Zach’s not going. This’ll be the first trip just the three of us have taken together in quite some time.

New York City will be receiving quite a bit of my attention in the coming weeks and months. I’d like to step up my play there, hopefully I’d be able to find a scene up there and see if I can turn some people on. My buds in NYC seem to be dropping out like usual. So I doubt I’ll have the usual crowd there. I’m hoping the other people playing have a decent draw so we can play in front of some new people. (*fingers crossed*)

It’s currently 3AM and I should go get some sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter