Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 124

Day 123 - June 12th 2009

The drum beats at 8AM. The parents are up and they are yelling at me to get up for church.

I’m generally never too excited about getting up and going, my church can be kind of dry sometimes. It’s a little older, the congregation a little more on the well to do side, content to kind of just sit there and watch what’s going on. It sorts of lacks the visceral atmosphere that you might find at other churches or even a secular event like a rock concert. Depending on who’s preaching the sermons can be a little murky and depending on who’s singing the choir looks and sounds closer to the grave than glory. So there are some Sundays where the parents have to literally drag me out of bed.

I got there at 10 AM and the opposite was true. The sermon was topical, the choir sounded alive, I was engaged in what was happening in the service. Something that doesn’t happen as often as I would like when I’m not playing for the youth choir, it was a good service and apparently Dad is preaching next week,

As we leave church we head for Bertucci’s and my mind wanders to the fact of the day. Bang Camaro is at Rocklahoma today and I’m not with them.

It seems like I’ve been home forever but it’s only been a month or two. It’s still kind a weird for them to be going somewhere and me not going with them. I guess it’s like those guys who have like 3 wives stashed away all over the place. I was out there living a different life, same guy mind you but my existence was almost a 180 from the way I was living before I left. There are definitely differences from the touring life than the one I have now. With Camaro I’m not in charge, I show up get in the van and do my job and hopefully I take decent care of myself. There’s still nothing that beats going into a spot 15 deep. Part of me will always miss them, I’m certain that if given the opportunity I’ll perform with them again.

I wanted to go but my schedule and finances being the way they are it wasn’t really conducive to being able to take six days off, and with several trips planned in the next few months into some other markets with my own project I’ve got to save my money. If I learned anything from the Camaro brethren is that tours cost… a lot.

I’m sure they killed it. Holding their own with Twisted Sister, Anthrax, Ratt, Stryper, and the rest. Nobody brings it quite like The Camaro.

Once we got to vertices we had a good meal then went to Borders to get a book for mom dukes. After that we went home watched a House Marathon, I ate some General Tsou’s Chicken and pretty much vegged out. It had a been a tough past few days and I could use some rest.

Bang Camaro @ Rocklahoma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter