Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 132

Day 131 - July 20th 2009

Monday’s always a weird day when I don’t have open mic. I know I’ve been saying that all summer, you think I’d be used to it by now. What can I say, I love doing it, I’m inspired by it, and I miss it when I’m not there.

I spent the majority of the day making deals. I had to say no quite a bit today, which is the hardest thing for me to do sometimes. I understand what it’s like to be a musician out here trying to get certain things done, or a venue that is trying to get off the ground with a live music night, so sometimes I go to places I shouldn’t trying to be empathetic and trying to let them know I understand their plight. It’s a process and I’m learning, but the bottom line is that I have to run my business and part of that is saying “I’m not gonna be able to do that”, for someone who’s spent his life being a people pleaser it’s probably good for me to be in situations where I have to put my foot down, this isn’t going to make me popular and I’ve made mistakes along the way, but failure is success if you learn from it. The more I go through the better I will be at closing deals.

Also getting ready for Thursday’s show it’s gonna be a classic I think in terms of quality. You put Franklin Bridge, Phunkyman, and Boy Wonder and Caitlin Potter in the same room, not to mention all the acoustic acts that are playing. This may be the best show yet.

Other than that I spent the majority of my day at home trying to get everything straight for Lickety and attempting to write. I know that I won’t be able to do that until things clam down.

Work week starts tomorrow so it was Penn and Teller, Weeds, Raw, then bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter