Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 128

Day 127 - July 16th 2009

Today brings the realization that this week is a slow one from a financial standpoint. Fortunately for me I’m getting Rel back on track today as far as her guitar lessons go so at least I won’t be bored or completely broke today.

I’m more and more concerned with Rob’s condition. When I talked to him this morning he was in pretty bad shape.

As I walked out the door surprise, surprise my ipod wasn’t working again. My uniformly negative experiences with all things apple didn’t deter me from becoming a member of the ipod nation and like always the shit doesn’t work. I was able to get 1.5 gigs of music on my 80GB Ipod before leaving the house and heading to Rel’s.

Fortunately for me Rel’s been practicing. The long layoff hasn’t slowed her down, She’s going to need that sort of fire and zeal because like anything else in life if you wanna be really good you have to work really hard at it. I’m very pleased with her progress though. A lesson is always followed by a long talk, usually about my relationship problems, which I won’t get into here. We headed over to the royal tavern for some food, I was starving, We talked some more and I realized that I was running late for Jake’s show.

Jake’s longtime band the Parachuting Apostles got a shot in the arm when Dom formally of The Feathertops joined the band. Having heard The Feathertops I was interested to see how this was going to work. I came up the stairs at Doc Watson’s (a place in Philly where I cut my teeth) and ran into their manager who I finally meet face to face for the first time. He seems like a nice guy that really believes in these boys. Zach had also arrived and I was stoked to see Jake play.

The band hit the stage around 9. Right off the bat this is probably the loudest band I’ve heard since I came back from tour. But two other things are also evident. Number one, they are all enjoying the crap out of themselves, two this band is really good. Dom’s also a pretty sweet front man and Jake’s very unique approach to playing lends well to this band. I was blown away by the performance. I talked with Val some more and we discussed goals and things and what I might be able to do for The Apostles. I’m slowly beginning to realize that people are either overestimating my power and influence or I’m underestimating it. I will of course do all I can for Jake and anything he’s involved in. He’s family.

Zach and I walked to the bus stop and after an hour of discussing life I caught a bus and went home. I have a long weekend ahead so I’m going to get as much sleep as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter