Thursday, July 16, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 127

Day 126 - July 15th 2009

So I wake up to the news that one of the bands I have booked at Lickety Split is breaking up TODAY as in the day of the show leaving me one band down for tonight. Later on I get the news that another one of my acts has an emergency and has to drop out. Which leaves me with a half empty bill for tonight’s show…. Awesome. Stuff happens and I know that so I have a lot of phone calls to make.

I literally called everyone I know to try and fill it, no dice. I ended up contacting Alex Rawdin from last Night at the Tritone who was more than willing to come in and fill a spot, with me playing an impromptu acoustic set that makes 4 people for the lineup. Funny when I did my Wednesday Nights at O.N.E. we’d play all the time, sort of served as our practice. Now I’ve grown accustomed to my Godfather type role. But it’s not like I don’t love playing.

I also have the task of having to get 10+ songs to Bill Rose of the Absolute Zeros who is filling in for Rob on Drums. The prognosis doesn’t look good for him this weekend (and considering his age I’m worried about next Thursday’s show) so we had to get another guy to step in. I don’t like not playing with Jake or Rob but this is the nature of the business. Stuff happens and you have to deal with it. I must say though it’s adding to my stress level.

As I was in the midst of putting out the fires of this crisis my friend Maleata came by to buy tickets for the show which have selling surprisingly well, she hung out while I watched America’s Sweethearts. I took a nap and then I had to head down to dad’s job to drive to Jake’s to pick up my amp. Always good to see the Jakester. He has a gig tomorrow with his band the Parachuting Apostles that I can’t wait to see.

I got a call from my old friend Joe Rivera. Him and his wife were in town so they were gonna come by the bar. So I would at least be bringing two people to the bar to see me play. It’s been years since they saw me so it would be interesting.

I still had my concerns with half of the original bill there tonight. For the bar to do anything I’d have to count on two bands to do really well while Alex and I would basically serve as filler and what do you know as soon as Samantha Gongol came in the place was packed. Considering her talent and beauty I’m not surprised. Apparently her mother did an email blast before the show and all of her friends showed up. She played for about 30-35 minutes and sounded great. I’m getting he hang of mixing full bands in the room, not that there’s much to do. They could have played for an hour or two. She’s going to do legit business someday.

I played a short set followed by Alex Rawdin who was better tonight than he was at the Tritone open mic. He’s running the open mic at Panda Bar and he and the manager were basically ganging up on me trying to get me to say yes about coming. Tuesday’s are always tough because I have two lessons and I actually like to come home and get as much rest as possible. I’m in a position where I can take care of my body so I like to do that.

The place filled up again for Damien Anthony. I’d seen him play at Philly Rising but had no idea he was such a ripping lead guitar player. He played a very inspired set that got the crowd jumping and singing along. After he was done he was having birthday cake, I don’t eat Birthday cake and it was time to go home anyway, it was getting pretty late. It seems like just as I think we’re gonna have a dead night the people turn up. It was a really good night for half of the advertised bill not being there,

I got home and hit the sack. I had lessons and The Parachuting Apostles tomorrow. Life’s not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter