Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 133

Day 132 - July 21st 2009

I woke up this morning to the sound of my phone vibrating. It was from the producer I work with telling me the recording session was cancelled. It was cool though, I had plenty to do today and a show I wanted to go to. Soulfatronic was playing at Doc Watson’s and I really wanted to go.

First were my guitar lessons. My first student of the day was puzzled because the second chord in Natalie Imbruglia’s Torn didn’t sound right. As we looked at the tablature for the song we realized that she had the tab backwards. Once we got that straight she was doing a bit better. She skipped ahead and wanted to play a Sarah McLaughlin song that was in the book. Her key thing is going to be rhythm. Rhythm is so important when playing any kind of instrument. One is more likely to convince the general public they can play if they play rhythms that make sense. Once she gets that down she’ll be fine.

My second student didn’t have a guitar so I brought her a decent one to practice on so I brought her one from the basement for her to play until she gets one. I spent most of her lesson stringing it. She can now go practice BINGO.

After I left there I caught up Chris for a little bit and then we went to see Soulfatronic.

As I walked up the steps I was waved in for free. I saw the Soulfatronic guys and we talked shop and about how none of us were happy about them not being on Thursday’s show at World Café Live. They line checked and then they played an amazing show. Those white boys are mad funky. They are one of the few bands (you can really count them on one had) that I’ve seen in Philly on any kind of regular basis. The horn parts are mad hooky the rhythm section is tight, the guitar is nasty and Styles just kills it as an MC (his singing’s pretty nice as well) I enjoyed their show as always

After the show we hung out for a while and I went over to the Tritone to see Kelvin and Steve. I saw them for about five minutes until I met up with my folks who were passing through from a meeting and got a ride home.

Lickety Split’s tomorrow, World Café Live in two days, I need some rest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter