Friday, July 24, 2009

Boy Wonder: Professional Musician 135

Day 134 - July 23rd 2009

Today’s the day.

I woke up this morning with the realization that this may be the biggest show of my career to date. The sheer level of people that I would be sharing he stage with was intimidating at best and to top it all off I was closing.

I spent some time with the questionarre sent to me by The Cellar Sessions pod cast, I’ll post it when I’m done. It’s pretty long.

My day basically started at 3:30 when I arrived at World Café Live for Soundcheck. Curt Chambers and Franklin Bridge got there around 4 and it was basically a matter of them getting things done and moving through so that we could start on-time. On a big show like this (8 acts, 4 Main stage and 4 Acoustic) there are a lot of factors and the number one factor is starting on time. I was worried when it was 7:03 and we hadn’t started.

We kicked off the show with Liat, a very talented young lady that I’ve been booking for quite some time she played four songs but apparently had problems with her guitar chord and it was shorting in and out. Her dad came up and tried to fix it probably throwing her off just a tiny bit. A brilliant 20 minute set.

Caitlin Potter would hit the stage next, as I was watching her I was standing next to Angela DiPalantino who was slated to perform next and I was talking about how when you have a long term relationship with an artist like I’ve had with Caitlin (almost two years now seven if you start from when she recorded that song on my first album) you get an opportunity to see them grow. She has really gotten to the point where she commands attention for all the right reasons. Caitlin truly has all the tools that you would want if you’re a female pop singer, great voice, great look, good songs, good stage presence, it’s only a matter of time.

Angela DiPalantino was up next. Angie spent some time in my band as my background singer. She’s really been working hard on her solo project since leaving and it shows. The songs sounded great and she has a very tight grasp of what she’s doing. She’s going to be an excellent pop artist.

Then Phunkyman hit the stage and basically destroyed it. I’ve always had a lot of love for them as a band and as people. It just amazes me that they make a sound like that. It’s Funky as hell, melodic, heavy, basically anything you would want out of music. The energy was fantastic. If I can sound like that in ten years I’ll be quite content. I can’t say enough about them I wish everyone could come next time and just check these guys out. They never ever disappoint and their audience seems to be growing. I learn so much just by watching them.

Emerson B would take the stage next and boy did he bring it. His hip hop mixed with Reggae mixed with funk is the perfect buffer to give your ears a break after a band like Phunkyman. People seemed to be running their mouths more during his set. I’m gonna try to put him on right before me next time to alleviate that just a bit.

It was time for the mighty Curt Chambers and Franklin Bridge would take the stage. Probably the most prominent band we’ve had on a HYPE! Show to date, it was a major coup for me to get them. Curt has a certain vibe and energy that the people soak up. His swagger is undeniable and the girls seemed to love him, my favorite moment was probably his closer Purple Rain. He actually went out into the audience and played a guitar solo while sitting on the soundboard. It was hilarious

The Damon Hamilton Project would follow. Probably the most elaborate of the acoustic acts. Like all the others it’s a shame you can only give them 20 minutes to do their thing. They’re one of my moms favoirte groups that I book. You gotta love Abracadabra and the Apple Juice Song.

Then after all this Amazing music the crowd (who strangely enough was still there) was forced to listen to my black ass for an hour

Set List
Superhero
(Oh) I Wish I loved You
The Way You Make Me Feel
How Can This Be Love
Feels so Good
(I Think We Should) Breakup
Leavin

It was Rob’s first gig back since his tonsillectomy. We didn’t seem to miss a beat. Our lack of time together caused us to do something that we do very well which is listen to each other. We were tight, it’s a great feeling. By The Way You Make Me Feel we were really cooking with gas. Bob Beach Came out and laid it down. I’d love to incorporate him more in the band. We talked about doing some duo acoustic stuff at some point in the near future. The horns were on point as usual. They are just getting better and better by the show and I may or may not add trombone to the proceedings once it’s all set and done. We were kicking ass. It was like the Eagles playing at the Linc, we had the home court advantage and the crowd was on their feet and dancing.

I had to get my Caucasian brothers and sisters on point with the clapping. I don’t get clapping on the upbeat. It’s on the 2 and 4 form here on out….lol. I have the best friends/fans on the planet. Hell even Val, Dani and Jaimi from Lickety Split showed up. It was an amazing show.

Someone described it as loose and colorful, very un-World Café Live like. But I love that place it’s awesome, you can turn it into a party there if you have the right kind of music, I had a great time

We ended with Leavin and Jake and I both had out of body experiences which would explain why we fell one measure behind the string quartet who looked absolutely gorgeous.

Encore
Billie Jean

The Encore is like the condom in the wallet, everyone knows it’s there but no one talks about it. We ended the night for real with a rousing version of Billie Jean.

We played for almost an hour and still ended the show 15 minutes early. I paid everyone and went home.

All in all it was the best show I have ever played to date and we’re just looking to take it to the next level from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter